Brigitte Matschinsky-Denninghoff

(1923 - 2011)

The principle of bringing together, which Brigitte Matschinsky-Denninghoff had developed together with her husband and working partner, also becomes clear in this individual work. The search for "primordial structures (...) that mean more to man than an image of his own exterior" (1957) was the concern of both. The demarcation from content-related references from natural forms is also expressed in the titles, which, as with many informal artists, are indicated by a factual numbering. The sculpture is signed on the underside of the wooden base with the artist's maiden name, Meier-Denninghoff. (EW)

Vita

1923
born in Berlin
1943 - 1944
Studied sculpture at the State Academy of Fine Arts in Berlin
1946 - 1947
Continuation of studies at the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich
1948
Assistant to the sculptor Henry Moore in England
1949 - 1950
Studies with the Russian Constructivist Antoine Pevsner in Paris
1949
Founding member of the group of artists 'Zen49'
1955
Collaboration and marriage with sculptor Martin Matschinsky (focus: steel sculpture)
1957 - 1958
Head of the Sculpture Department of the Staatliche Werkakademie in Kassel
1959
Participation in documenta II, Kassel; artistic breakthrough for the couple
1961
Joint studio house in Paris
1962
Participation in the 31st Biennal of Venice and numerous German and international exhibitions
1964
participation in documenta III in Kassel
1987
Installation of the "Berlin" plant at the Berlin Europa Center
1994
Summer residence with metal workshop and studio in Schönfeld near the river Elbe
2011
dies in Berlin